Pottery Barn Inspired Stocking Pillow...and More!

020I have a fun new Christmas project for you…a stocking pillow inspired by Pottery Barn! All you will need is a sweater that you are willing to sacrifice, some burlap, buttons and twine!

pb pillow2 As soon as I saw this one in Pottery Barn, I fell in love! But…$49 just for the cover was out of my price range. So  if you know me, you know my little wheels started to turn…

006 …and here is the result! Not too bad, huh? Theirs is a sort of linen fabric, but I couldn’t find it in the color I needed, so I used burlap. You just make a sleeve that is open-ended on both sides, slip in the insert (mine is down-filled for $4.00 from Goodwill) and close with big buttons! Easy! However, I don’t knit, so the little stockings were a challenge.

017 I finally found a cashmere sweater for $4.00 at Goodwill that had the texture and weight I wanted. Then I cut and sewed three little stockings from the sleeves, making a little hem at the top to finish them off.

016 Next, I added little ribbon loops and threaded the stockings on a length of twine which I stitched to the pillow. Finally, I added some fresh rosemary from the garden and…taaa daaa! But I still had the whole body of the sweater left over! What to do?…hmmmm

004 I made a simple sweater pillow and added another down insert from Goodwill…a $3.00 bargain…and then added a rose made from the leftover burlap!

002 It’s really easy! I just took a 45” by 4” piece of burlap and folded it in half so that it was 2 inches wide and then pressed it to make it easier to handle. Next, I tied a knot in one end, twisted the strip and curled it around, hot gluing at intervals to hold it, until it formed a rose.

sweater ornament And I have another idea cooking using sweaters…ornaments! I found this one in the French online magazine Marie Claire Maison. Don’t you love it? I wish I could knit!

020 And there you have it!  I was able to make both pillows for about $20 total, including the sweater, fabric, buttons and inserts! Woo hoo!

page And now for the magazine look-alike shot for the Magazine Copy Cat Challenge at Debbiedoo's Blogging and Blabbing!  That’s Pottery Barn’s version on the left and mine on the right! What do you think?

IMG_3841 And stay tuned…with the help of my lovely assistant Miss Isabella, I will have more pillows to show you later!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my Christmas pillow!  Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday (first Monday of the month)
Kate at Centsational Girl for the Holiday Craft Link Party
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Debbie at Debbiedoo's Blogging and Blabbing for the Magazine Copy Cat Challenge
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Beth at The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Fall into Fall
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday
Diann at The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Fabulous Fall Fun
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
See you next time! A la prochaine!

No comments:

Post a Comment