Bonnie's Cheese Ball...or...An Old Family Recipe

I am going to share a recipe with you that we have had in my family for about 50 years. It came from my mother's friend Bonnie so we have always called it Bonnie's Cheese Ball. I honestly remember the first time I tasted it as a little girl. It's that good! I have never known anyone who didn't love it. It's a staple at my family's Christmas celebration.

Bonnie's Cheese Ball
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (4 ounce) package bleu cheese
6 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (I use Cracker Barrel)
1 tablespoon freeze dried chives
1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic salt (to taste)
chopped pecans
paprika
1 olive

Let the cheeses soften at room temperature. Mix together adding the chives. Add the garlic salt to taste starting with about 1/2 teaspoon. Mine usually wind up with about a teaspoon. Even if you think you've added too much, you probably have not. Drop the mixture onto wax paper and refrigerate until it is easier to handle. I usually divide the recipe into 2 balls because one is usually enough and the other one freezes great! Take them out of the fridge and form them into nice round balls. Roll them on a plate where you have put the pecans and the paprika until they are covered. I usually have to shake on a little extra paprika to make them pretty. Top each with 1/2 olive to decorate. I always serve them with Nabisco Sociables crackers.

I hope you enjoy it! You can see that my family was well on their way to doing away with this one. I try to keep an extra one in the freezer. If you are invited to someone's house, just take it out about a day ahead and bring along some crackers...instant appetizer! I am going to serve it at my special Southern-style New Year's Day dinner. We Southerners have to have our black-eyed peas and collard greens. But more about that later.... Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment