Happy New Year!...or...The True Test of a Good Son-in-Law

Happy New Year, everybody! I hope yours was wonderful! Ours involved a lot of eating. It was the traditional Southern-style New Year's Day dinner, as I explained in my previous post, which is supposed to bring good luck, good health and prosperity for the new year. This is actually my plate you're looking at. (Yes, I stood on my chair at the dinner table to take this picture while everyone else started eating. Sorry, Miss Janice!) This photo is kind of like the old Hee Haw bit, if you ever watched the show:
Hey, Grandpa, what's for dinner?
HoneyBaked ham, collard greens, black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, rice, macaroni and cheese, cornbread and sweet tea...
Yum, yum!
Now...here's my son-in-law's plate...



Hmmmmm.....notice anything? This photo is more like Where's Waldo? Where are the collard greens and black-eyed peas? No cornbread, but that's OK. But no collards and no black-eyed peas??? You might as well just decide you want bad luck for the whole next year!! Poor thing...he really hates them! Hey...wait a minute...look there...



Ohhhh, yes...do you see? Way over there on the back side of the plate? One tiny black-eyed pea and one teensy shred of collards? Yes...what a good son-in-law I have! Taking one for the family! And yes, he did eat them...mixed in with his rice and tomatoes. I can breathe a sigh of relief now. It looks like 2009 is going to be a really good year!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment