My First Tablescape Tuesday...or...A Whimsical Country Tablescape

I never thought I would be saying this, but I am participating for the first time in Tablescape Tuesday! Yes, those of you who know me know that I am a "plates on the wall" kind of gal. However, I have been studying all the beautiful tablescapes that I see every week and I have been inspired. I want to thank all of you for giving me the courage to try this and for being the source for many of my..er..your ideas! I would especially like to thank Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for making this possible and for being our gracious hostess with the mostess!


My tablescape has a whimsical country theme with crows, corn and apples. This is the tablescape that I actually used for our Southern-style New Years Day dinner. I don't know why I associate crows with New Years. Maybe it's the dishes I serve...collard greens, black-eyed peas and corn bread....the traditional meal for bringing good luck for the New Year in the South!


The crow and corn tablerunner and napkins are central to my theme. I found them at a wonderful little shop in Madison, Georgia, called In High Cotton. The name comes from a Southern expression...if you are "in high cotton" then you are doing well! If you ever get a chance, you should definitely check out this shop! It's chock full of decorating goodies and it's one of my favorites!


I wanted to maintain my country theme, so I used Granny Smith apples as candle holders. I used a corer to make the holes for the tapers, then I rubbed a little lemon juice on the exposed flesh of the apple to keep it from turning brown. It actually worked better than I expected!


As my centerpiece, I used a crow that I found on the clearance aisle of TJ Maxx for $7.00. That's my little touch of whimsy, as Gollum has taught us. Or maybe it's a big touch. I'm not sure. At first I had planned to paint him black, but when I saw him with my tablescape, I knew he had to stay "as is." He matches my pewter flatware and serving pieces. Besides, I love the way he glows in the candlelight!


I put a votive candle at each plate. I really like the effect of the candlelight! The plates are almost shimmering!



These are the new plates that I showed you in an earlier post. They are Chardonnay by Oneida. I got a service for 8 for $72 and I have been using them every day and enjoying them. See the grapes around the rim? They remind me of crows, too. Remember the fable of "The Fox and the Crow"? The one about sour grapes? Now, you are probably thinking that everything reminds me of crows! I do love those noisy old birds!



You may have been wondering about my napkin rings. I will have to explain. I actually have some beautiful pewter ones that would have been perfect, but I have 4 of them and 6 guests are expected. Then I found something in the kitchen aisle at TJ Maxx and said wooo hooo!

These are cookie cutters in the shape of numbers!! For counting down the New Year, right? OK, so maybe I'm stretching it there, but they sort of look like pewter. They make perfect napkin rings! These were only $6 so I grabbed them and ran!


I wanted to show you my pewter flatware. Back in the olden days when I got married, it was all the rage to get pewter instead of silver, so I did. These are from Gorham. I love the big chunky handles! They have such wonderful patina and did from day one. You will also notice my Laguiole steak knives. My guests really won't need them, but I wanted you to see them.


Remember when Susan did the post about the Orvis ad showing French knife makers sharpening the blades while lying down? Well...these knives are from Jean Dubost Laguiole, a very old French knife company in Theirs, France. You can always spot them because of the bee on the handle. The more traditional style has the horn handles. I chose these to match my pewter.


I placed 4 sets of individual salt and pepper shakers around the table. These are not actually pewter, but I thought they were pretty. They came from TJ Maxx also...$10 for the set of 8 shakers. I also love the little lettuce leaf bowl you see behind them. I have one at each end of the table and will put lemons slices in them for the iced tea.



The goblets are Godinger Irish crystal that I got on sale at Macy's. I had a coupon, too, so I paid $36 for a set of 12! I'll use the goblets because we will be having sweet tea, of course. I don't know which wine to serve with collard greens!! Do you?



I love how the pewter glows in the candlelight! Did you notice that the forks only have 3 tines? That was another reason that I chose them. I think it gives them a really old look. Notice all the little touches of green? I tried to pull out the colors in the tablerunner and the napkins.


I used a green antique depression glass butter dish that belonged to my mother. Isn't it beautiful? I love the delicate little designs!


I also used this green leaf plate. I know this is a lettuce leaf, ladies! But to this Southern girl, my first thought was collards! I put it beside a collard leaf so you can see why. Now you have to admit that it does look more like collards than lettuce! Anyway, I think it works well with the meal I am serving! I'll put cornbread on this plate.


Here's a final look at my whimsical country tablescape. I have to admit that I have a new-found respect for all of you tablescapers. It was hard work! How do you do this every week?? What? What's that you say? A guest? At the end of the table? Ohhhh...it looks as though one of my guests has arrived a little early!



Thank you so much for dropping by to see this novice tablescaper's work. Please visit the other much more capable ladies listed on Susan's blog Between Naps on the Porch to see some gorgeous examples of their work. Now if you'll excuse me, my guests are arriving....

No comments:

Post a Comment