Happy New Year 2011...A Tablescape and A Tradition

 Happy New Year, everyone! Are you ready for the celebration? Once again our charming webmaster Miss Kitty has agreed to be the hostess!

The table is set...just a variation of our Christmas table. Can you spot the changes?  The plates are my bargain Goodwill Wedgwood Queensware sitting atop silver chargers. My great go-to Irish crystal goblets and my mom's Towle Silver Flutes flatware are back. The napkins have been exchanged for white damask.

Of course, the burlap table runner is still there, as well as the drop cloth tablecloth! I have enjoyed them so much! A few changes have been made in the centerpiece. A candle in the center has replaced the Red Cliff ironstone soup tureen...

...which has moved to the buffet. I love seeing its reflection in the silver tray! There are just some simple changes in the tablescape since the Christmas decorations are still up at my house. They will come down after New Years.

However, the menu is another story! We have the traditional Southern New Years meal for luck and prosperity...collard greens (click here for my recipe),  black-eyed peas and ham...with some rice, stewed tomatoes, mac and cheese ( Patti LaBelle’s recipe)  and cornbread on the side! Yum yum!  A previous dinner is pictured...but the menu never varies. I am really not superstitious, but let's just say that the one year I didn't have my collards was not a good one!

Sooo...I make sure that everyone in my family has at least a bite of them! My wonderful son-in-law, who doesn't like them at all, takes one for the family each year and has one black-eyed pea and one tiny shred of collards! Now that's a great son-in-law!
I hope your celebration is fabulous no matter what your traaditions and wish you and your family a New Year filled with peace, prosperity, love and much happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment